For some reason, many people have the misconception that getting sober means leading a very boring life. Fortunately, that is not the case at all, here are 8 ways to have sober fun in Los Angeles.
Getting sober does not have to be boring. There are many simple ways you can have sober fun in the city, without the use of any sort of substance.
You may not believe it now, but once you are comfortably sober, you will begin to discover a whole new world around you to enjoy.
The Importance of Sober Fun
Addiction can convince a person that it controls them – but here’s the good news: it doesn’t.
There are so many ways to have healthy, sober fun in Los Angeles, or wherever you may be located.
Many things that you now find exciting, you may have never considered before.
If you find yourself looking for sober fun or some substance-free activities, look no further.
1. Join an Adult Sports League
Joining an adult sports league has many benefits to the sober adult.
- First, as you should know, staying active is very healthy for your body – and your mind. Joining a sports league is a surefire way to get out there and enjoy some physical activity while having fun. It’s healthy and it won’t feel like work.
- Second, remaining social is important to sobriety. Leagues allow you to interact socially with those who hold an interest of yours. This is healthy and necessary for your overall well-being.
- Lastly, an adult sports league can give you a chance to banter with your competitive self. It gives you something to look forward to and a chance to have a little innocent competitive fun.
2. Expand Your Knowledge
You are never too old to learn something new.
Most colleges and communities hold classes in the evenings and on weekends for adults to attend.
Depending on where you reside, the classes offered may vary. However, offered for an affordable rate, you may find classes that can teach you:
- A new language.
- A craft that you’ve been wanting to learn.
- Various computer programs.
- Educational studies, such as literature, creative writing, history, and others.
Not only will this give you the opportunity to expand your knowledge on something you are passionate about, but it also gives you a chance to socially interact with others who have the same interest.
3. Learn to Love the Simple Things
You may be surprised how your interests change when you become sober.
In your past, you may have thought staying home on a Friday night was not appealing at all. Who does that?
Now, however, you may live for a quiet Friday night at home so you can enjoy share a meal with a friend and watch a movie.
It is the simple things that you will learn to love, such as:
- Taking a walk through the mall
- Meeting friends for breakfast
- Spending time alone
- Even dancing around your house
When you open your sober heart up to experience joy, you will find it everywhere.
4. Take It Old School and Hit up the Arcade
Who doesn’t like the arcade?
Kids everywhere do – and it is likely that the big kid inside of you does, too.
Find that inner child and embrace him or her.
Take yourself to the arcade – alone or with friends – and discover what you used to love all those years ago.
What if you were never a fan of the arcade? Try it anyways – you may be surprised at how your interests have changed.
- Get competitive on video games
- Enjoy a round of miniature golf
- Hit up the batting cages
- Try your hand at laser tag or rock climbing
- Feel exhilarated on the go-kart track
All of these things – and more – can be fun and excited for adults. And guess what?
Since they cater to kids, the focus is on the fun, not on anything else.
5. Get Creative
Everyone needs an outlet – some way to express what is going on inside. And, you better believe there is a lot going on inside that sober head of yours.
Finding a healthy way to expel these inner feelings can be very beneficial.
Whether you are naturally creative, or you aren’t, it is never too late to learn a new creative hobby.
There are online tutorials galore on YouTube and there are local community classes.
Of course, you can always just jump head first into the creative outlet of your choice and see the magic that happens.
So, get to it – start:
- Creating Music
Let your creativity flow freely.
6. Have a Spa Day – or Create One at Your Home
Who doesn’t love a spa day? Have you ever even had one?
If you haven’t learned already, stress is bad. It can wreak havoc on your mind, body, and spirit. And, stress can cause hiccups in your sober life.
During sobriety, you need to work hard at keeping your stress under control.
Learning to indulge in a spa day can be one way to do that.
Spa days can be as extravagant or basic as you want them to be.
Book yourself a day at the spa or create one at home with:
- A bubble bath or epsom salt bath
- Facial mask
- Some soft music
You have a second chance at doing life right – so don’t you think you should be experiencing it?
7. Experience Life and Set Goals
Get out there and do things that others only dream about.
Focus hard and prepare yourself to do something incredible such as:
- Running a marathon
- Climbing that mountain
- Trying weightlifting
- Read that long book that you’ve been putting off
Test your limits while remaining sober and you will likely astonish yourself.
8. When in Doubt, Throw Your Own Sober Party!
If you are still looking for some sober fun, why not throw your own sober party?
You don’t have to go out to have fun – bring the fun home.
- A dinner party
- A brunch
- Even a movie marathon
Invite your friends over and let the sober fun commence.
Remember to be upfront that it is a sober engagement, so no one shows up with that bottle of wine.
Having Fun While Sober Is Achievable
Getting sober opens you up to a whole new life that you can either fight or embrace it.
Discovering these and other simple ways to have sober fun may surprise you with immense enjoyment.