When you’re in recovery, it can be very difficult to remain sober, especially in Los Angeles. If you’re in recovery, remember these tips on how to stay sober.
Many people come to Southern California to make it big. Others come for the ocean and laid-back attitude. And, yet others come to get sober.
Whether you have found your way to SoCal to get sober or not, staying sober here is easier than you may think.
If you are unsure that this can be your sober spot or you are looking for ways on how to remain sober while here, don’t fret.
Forget Everything You’ve Heard
First and foremost, you need to forget everything you have heard about Southern California. In fact, you can leave these common misconceptions at the door.
Yes, there is a party-type persona that follows the area. And, sure, a Hollywood lifestyle is quite often combination glitz, glamour, and addiction.
And, indeed, you will find many people on the streets and struggling with addictions and demons as you move throughout the city.
Here is what you need to know: As many people as you hear are addicts or in recovery, there are that many – or more – individuals who don’t touch any substance, whether in recovery or not.
Drugs and alcohol are everywhere – and SoCal is no exception.
Just because it may appear that the problem may be amplified here, it is not.
Again, forget what you’ve heard.
What You Need to Hear
Southern California could very well be the perfect place to start your sober journey. Not only is it a beautiful area with beautiful weather, but there are other perks, too. For instance,
- The diversity you will find in SoCal is phenomenal. There are people from all walks of life, all backgrounds, all nationalities, ethnicities, etc. That means that no matter who you are, you will find a place to fit in.
- There are so many things you can do outdoors. And, as you will learn, getting outside and staying active can have many positive impacts on your recovery. From sailing and snorkeling to hiking and bike riding, you will find something you enjoy.
- Because it is such a hot spot thanks to the Hollywood hype, Southern California has quite an array of things to do. These include social outings for individuals, peers, or families. All need to be present in your recovery and play a role in keeping you sober. So, what better place to get out and do something fun. Check out Disneyland, the San Diego Zoo, Legoland, the beaches, and more.
There are so many aspects of recovery that need your focus. After all, your sober life is going to look much different than your life as an addict.
You will need to find yourself in new social circles with sober friends. A good way to do this is by joining a sober living house.
You will need to find time to relieve the stress you have in your life and increase the health of your body, mind, and spirit.
There are many things that you can find in SoCal that will help you with each and every part of staying sober.
It is easy to forget that you have spent a lot of time with a sole purpose: your addiction.
Now, you have to find your way back to learning to love the little things of life that allow you to enjoy it like you did before your addiction took over your life.
Unlike living in places such as Montana or North Dakota, Southern California gives you the perfect place to enjoy the outdoors.
And, as you should know, thanks to the sun, being outdoors increases your vitamin D levels and it increases your mood.
In addition, spending time outside can help you to stay sober by keeping you busy.
And, well, that is always a good thing, right?
So, what are you waiting for? Get outdoors and check out one of these ideas.
- Go hiking through the mountains in Santa Monica.
- Ride your bike through the city. You can do this alone or you can join one of the many bike clubs that you will find. In fact, you may even find yourself a sober bike group.
- Enjoy wandering through one of the many parks you will find in Southern California.
- Spend the day at one of the many beaches along the coastline. You can stay on the sand or in the water. Sailing, fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, and more are all sorts of things you will discover available to you.
Arts and Entertainment
Southern California is known for arts and entertainment. So, you can rest assured that you will find something that strikes your interest.
It is the perfect mix of doing something fun, engaging, but not too socially stimulating that it puts you in a predicament.
- Discover plays and musicals to love.
- Find local musicians that you can keep tabs on. (Though be careful about the venues in which they play as they could very easily be playing in a bar or club).
- Comedians are very popular and found in many spots throughout the area. Laughter is the best medicine – and it is good for the soul.
- Follow the calendar or keep tabs on what is going on throughout the city. There is usually always some sort of festival or event that is scheduled. You never know what you may find.
Relax and Adjust Your Focus
Finally, stay sober in SoCal by relaxing and adjusting your focus.
You have one job right now – and that is to maintain your sobriety.
And, because you are very vulnerable at this stage and there is always a chance for danger to be lurking around every corner, take some time to reflect on your journey – the past, present, and future.
Take advantage of all that Southern California has to offer for your quiet time.
Visit a spa, get lost in nature, or just watch the waves crash at the beach while breathing in the salty air. This personal time is necessary for you to stay on a positive recovery journey.
SoCal is the best place to find it.
No matter what brought you here, Southern California has the best of all sober worlds for you to heal, grow, and overcome.