Sex & Love Addiction
Sex & Love Addiction
What is sex and love addiction?
Sex and love addiction is a progressive illness which can be managed or arrested. It may take several forms including, but not limited to a compulsive need for sex, extreme dependency on one or many people, or a chronic preoccupation with romance, intrigue, or fantasy. An obsessive compulsive pattern, either sexual or emotional, or both, exists in which relationships or sexual activities have become increasingly destructive to career, family and sense of self-respect.
Some characteristics of sex and love addiction:
- Having few healthy boundaries, addicts become sexually involved with and/or emotionally attached to people without knowing them.
- Fearing abandonment and loneliness, sex and love addicts stay in and return to painful, destructive relationships, concealing their dependency needs from themselves and others, growing more isolated and alienated from frIends and loved ones.
- Fearing emotional and/or sexual deprivation, they compulsively pursue and involve themselves in one relationship after another, sometimes have more than one sexual or emotional liaison at a time.
- Using sex and emotional involvement to manipulate and control others.
- Avoiding responsibility by attaching to people who are emotionally unavailable.
- Assigning magical qualities to others. They idealize and pursue them, then blame them for not fulfilling their fantasies and expectations.
Recovery Advocates can help treat sex addiction
Recovery Advocates uses modern neuroscientific processes to pinpoint areas of the brain that effect impulse control and compulsive behavior. Then, our expert staff of doctors and scientists utilize evidence-based protocols to develop customized solutions for that individual. These techniques, when married to accepted psychotherapeutic work in conjunction with 12 Step Programs like (Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous [S.L.A.A.] and/or S.L.A. [Sex Addicts Anonymous] now present bio-psycho-social solutions to sex and love addiction, generating viable recovery.
Recovery Advocates provides multiple approaches to recovery which have proven successful for men and women with this illness. With help they can recover.